So my two year old is an extremely picky eater. So I'm always trying to come up with things she'll actually eat. Now I admit these take a little more effort than going through Wendy's but our kids are worth it right? Well most days anyway and today was one of those days.
Generally speaking if I'm going to this much trouble I like it to work for everyone in the family. This one does but it's not a favorite for me but do the kids ever love it. Also if they don't eat them all (which they won't) you can frig or freeze them.
So here it is:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1-2 chicken breasts (or ground chicken if you want to make it easier)
- 1 small egg
- 5 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 cups corn, fresh, frozen or otherwise (could be substituted with peas, zucchini, cauliflower, carrots whatever your kids like, corn is sweet and blends in)
- Saute onion and garlic in evoo till translucent and tender, set aside.
- Soak the bread in milk and tear into pieces
- Place chicken in a food processor or blender. Pulse for a few seconds.
- Add everything else but corn and blend for a few more seconds till well combine.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in corn.
- At this point you could store this in your fridge overnight or make it immediately.
- Put some flour out on a plate. (You could also use bread crumbs or panko) With one hand/spoon scoop a golf ball size of chicken into flour and roll around until coated. Pat softly to remove excess flour and form into "nugget" shape.
- Heat veg oil in a pan over medium to medium/low heat.
- Make one fritter to test for seasoning and adjust.
- Cook about 4-5 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Serve with Homemade Ketchup.
- 2 cans hunts tomato sauce
- 1 (heaping) tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and cook, uncovered for about 15 minutes.